When we refer to virtual (classroom) training we are meaning just that: delivering live training (not pre-recorded) with a trainer to wherever you are real-time – otherwise referred to as Virtual Instructor Led Training (VILT). Our trainers are based in actual training rooms complete with training and AV equipment.
Business Analysis in Practice (Level 2) Virtual Classroom Training
Our virtual training is streamed live (not pre-recorded) with an accredited trainer in real-time – otherwise referred to as Virtual Instructor Led Training (VILT). Brought to you by experienced trainers based on our market leading materials and content.
Our trainers are based in real training rooms complete with audio visual equipment. We apply best practices incorporating a modular approach with frequent activities, visual engagement, appropriate pace and relevant dynamic learning to add value.
KEY TOPICS & DELIVERY
OUTCOMES & CERTIFICATION
About this Course
The spotlight is well and truly on designing solutions that deliver the most value to an organisation. Not only does a solution need to satisfy project objectives and stakeholder requirements, but it also needs to contribute to the realisation of business goals and organisational strategy.
The Business Analyst (BA) role is therefore critical as organisations rely on BAs to ensure delivered solutions are aligned with organisational strategy, and that implemented solutions realise their full value through the removal of any limiting factors related to organisational or technical factors.
Our Business Analysis in Practice course provides practitioners with an in-depth opportunity to develop and evaluate solution requirements that encompass organisational and environment factors such as business processes, systems and organisational culture.
Aligned with A Guide to the Business Analysis Body of Knowledge® (BABOK® Guide) V3, this course builds upon participants’ existing skills and knowledge by way of a guided tour through a series of real-life scenarios, problems and issues faced by Business Analysts today.
This course provides participants with a standardised and systematic approach for eliciting, analysing and managing business requirements that form the basis for successful solutions delivered to the organisation.
It uses a real-life case study approach to plan, manage and execute a detailed requirements development process, to successfully manage stakeholders, and to reduce organisational risk by understanding the impact of change across the business.
This course builds on information covered in our BA Fundamentals course. In BA Fundamentals, the focus is on understanding the role of the Business Analysts, key business analysis concepts and which common techniques can assist the BA in specific situations. The focus of BA in Practice is to practically apply a range of techniques to common analysis activities.
What you gain from the course
Successful completion of this course will enable participants to:
- Define, recommend and apply knowledge for the purposes of guiding business analysis activities, managing output delivered by said activities, and managing stakeholder engagement. (Business Analysis Planning and Monitoring)
- Define, recommend, apply and pragmatically prepare for, conduct, confirm, communicate and collaborate with stakeholders for the purposes of defining and designing requirements to meet a business need. (Elicitation and Collaboration)
- Apply and recommend a means by which an organisation can effectively obtain goals and objectives though the identification of current state practices and defining future state practices, considering risk and overall change strategy. (Strategy Analysis)
- Apply and recommend a means by which requirements are to be modelled, verified, validated and supported in a pragmatic architecture that fosters design options and ultimately value in recommended solution options. (Requirements Analysis and Design Definition)
- Apply and recommend a course of action using appropriate tasks and techniques necessary to manage requirements from inception through to retirement. (Requirements Lifecycle Management)
- Recommend options to ensure that solutions delivered adhere to standards and realise the full potential – as dictated by the solution options recommended and deployed. (Solution Evaluation)
- Review and measure the effectiveness of deployed solutions to understand solution and enterprise limitations, which can then be used to recommend opportunities for increased efficiencies. (Solution Evaluation)
Who is this course for?
Business Analysts who wish to:
- Build upon their existing Business Analysis knowledge and experience
- Learn more about applying the knowledge areas, concepts and techniques presented in the BABOK® Guide
- Undertake CCBA® certification
Qualification: Business Analysis in Practice (Level 2)
Nominal Days: 3 days
Program Area: Requirements Gathering & Business Analysis
Session 1: Setting the Scene
Course objectives. IIBA certification.
Session 2: Business Analysis Planning and Monitoring
Overview of the Business Analysis Planning and Monitoring knowledge area. Planning your approach – predictive (e.g. waterfall) versus adaptive (e.g. agile). Identifying and analysing stakeholders. Planning for BA governance and Information Management. Identifying BA performance improvements.
Session 3: Elicitation and Collaboration
Overview of the Elicitation and Collaboration knowledge area. Preparing for and conducting elicitation. Confirming and communicating elicitation results.
Session 4: Strategy Analysis
Overview of the Strategy Analysis knowledge area. Techniques used in Strategy Analysis.
Session 5: Requirements Analysis and Design Definition (RADD)
Overview of the RADD knowledge area. Specifying and verifying requirements using boilerplates, user stories, pre-defined quality characteristics and acceptance criteria. Modelling requirements using a range of techniques such as process models, data models and business rules analysis. Defining design options and recommending a solution based on potential value.
Session 6: Requirements Lifecycle Management
Overview of the Requirements Lifecycle Management knowledge area. Tracing, maintaining, prioritising and reusing requirements.
Session 7: Solution Evaluation
Overview of the Solution Evaluation knowledge area. Measuring solution performance using value attributes, qualitative and quantitative measures. Analysing performance measures. Assessing solution and enterprise limitations that limit the value an implemented solution brings to an organisation. Recommending actions to increase the value of an implemented solution.
This course follows a practical path with participants working on a case study to develop a solution using the most appropriate method (agile / waterfall). This will include practical experience of using a range of techniques and models such as personas, business capability maps, use case diagrams and scenarios, user stories and acceptance criteria, data flow diagrams, state models, and many more…
This course will also focus on managing and improving BA work, so participants will be asked to create supporting artefacts such as risk registers and change control procedures.
How this course is delivered
Our accredited trainers will use a comprehensive participant handbook and a dynamic case study delivery approach to provide participants with a ‘hands-on’, multi-faceted and challenging learning experience.
Participants will be actively engaged in progressing an initial issue or opportunity statement into documented and validated business requirements.
Courses are facilitated by our expert team and can be conducted onsite, at our premises or virtually. All courses can be customised to suit your requirements.
Materials: A comprehensive participant handbook is provided.
Outcomes and Certification Eligibility
IIBA is a non-profit organisation whose vision is to be the leading world-wide professional association that develops and maintains standards for the practice of Business Analysis, and for the certification of practitioners. PM-Partners is an Endorsed Education Provider™ of IIBA.
IIBA offers formal certifications for professional Business Analysts including Certification of Competency in Business Analysis™ (CCBA®) and Certified Business Analysis Professional™ (CBAP®).
Note: Whilst this course helps prepare you for the CCBA® certification, additional self-study is required prior to taking the exam. If you are planning to sit the CCBA® exam, please speak to your course trainer for direction and study advice.
- Minimum 1-2 years’ experience working in a Business Analysis environment
- Practicing Business Analysts who have attended the PM-Partners Business Analysis Fundamentals course or equivalent
If you are pursuing BA certification, consider taking our 5-day Level 3 – CBAP® Examination Prep course.
If you would like to know more about the BA role in an Agile environment, then consider taking our AgileBA® Foundation Certificate course.
If you would like to know more about taking on a Product Owner role in an Agile environment, then consider taking our Scrum Product Owner Certified (SPOC™) course.
View all scheduled virtual classroom courses
Your virtual classroom trainer has access to a variety of options to ensure effective communication and learning, both individually and as a group, including:
- Changing how webcams are viewed
- Screen sharing to display a document, presentation or other training content
- Changing the view to make an attendee the presenter
- Conducting polls and tests
- Splitting the classroom into small groups for activities
- Uploading materials
Collaboration and actively participating in a training session are essential. You can:
- Raise and submit questions/comments to the trainer or other attendees
- Use shared apps and drawing tools to collaborate with the whole group
- Participate in ‘breakout’ rooms for activities/small group discussions
- Share the trainer’s keyboard and mouse control
Note: Drawing tools, shared keyboard/mouse control and multi-monitor screen sharing are available on the installed desktop app only.
As virtual training is a very different experience to face-to-face training, each virtual session will be a maximum of 90 minutes (many sessions will be shorter), followed by a break. Your trainer will confirm the timings of breaks at the start of each day.
|Desktop app option||Web browser option|
|Operating system||Windows 7 – 10
MacOS X 10.9 (Mavericks) – MacOS Mojave 10.14TM
|Internet connection||1Mbps or better (broadband recommended)|
|Hardware||2GB or more of RAM
Microphone and speakers* (headset recommended)
|Microphone and speakers* (headset recommended)
*It is recommended that you use a wired headset with VoIP to ensure optimal audio quality and to minimise audio feedback. If necessary, you are able to use your phone to dial in to the audio connection.
We are currently using GoToTraining® by LogMeIn. As a training course participant, you do not need a GoToTraining account. Before the training starts you will be sent an email with a link to join the course. When you join the course, you will be prompted to download the GoToTraining software.
The session is completely private and secure and features end-to-end Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) and 128-bit Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) encryption. No unencrypted information is ever stored on the system.
Yes. Simply select ‘invoice’ from the payment options during the checkout process and one of our consultants will be in contact to organise payment.
No. There are no certifications or exams undertaken in this course, however completion of this course does assist in preparation for the CCBA® Certification. You do receive a Completion Certificate from PM-Partners group which is necessary when applying to sit the CCBA® certification.
Yes. This course forms part of the Business Analysis Professional Development Program which can be purchased at a discounted rate. Buy now & save!