With the creation of a single transport organisation combining previously independent businesses, a common Enterprise Resource Management (ERP) System was required to gain synergy from the consolidation and to replace unstable and costly legacy systems.
PM-Partners assisted the client to deliver simplified, automated and common processes across several key functions. We brought structure and consistency to a complex change programme involving over 30,000 employees.
The Business Challenge
Our client, a large organisation in the transport sector
, had recently restructured to bring together previously separate and autonomous agencies into one transport organisation. To gain the benefits of consolidation such as reduced cost, less duplication and better access to quality information, our client embarked on a major programme to implement a common IT platform (SAP) and replace outdated manual processes. The programme was seen as critical to enable the organisation to support the millions of journeys each day.
The project involved significant transformation of processes and systems in the areas of:
- Financial control, planning and budgeting
- Procurement and supplier management
- Portfolio and Project Management
- Human Resources and Payroll
- Asset and fleet management
The programme will impact over 30,000 users and elements of the transformation have already been successfully rolled out to around 20,000 employees.
How we helped?
Large ERP programmes are inherently high risk. Our client engaged PM-Partners to support several areas of the programme through the provision of PMO and project delivery services.
PM-Partners managed the central PMO for the overall programme as well as the PMOs in two large customer departments where success is critical. Our services to the programme include:
- Executive-level consulting and strategic advice
- Coordinate all key programme governance forums/ committees
- Implemented and managed the consistent use of programme management methodology and tools across all projects
- Develop, monitor and maintain the programme schedule, project dependencies, risks, issues, resources and change control
- Report on programme status to programme and department executives
- Coordinate programme communication, change management activity and delivery of training
While the programme is not yet complete, PM-Partners have been able to successfully establish PMOs in the key parts of the programme to support delivery of:
- Shared services (HR, Procurement, IT) across the organisation
- Simplified and automated processes
- Employee self service capability
- Training in the new system and processes to approximately 20,000 users to date
PM-Partners group has also provided:
- Mentoring to programme team members
- Flexibility and agility in responding to programme challenges and skills requirements
- Quality assurance on key deliverables
Our structured approach to executing a large change programme has contributed significantly to the achievements to date and to ensuring the programme continues as an integrated and value-driven initiative.
“We provided our client with best practice PMO services that enabled the programme to navigate past many challenges and quickly refocus effort to address priority issues.”
Pete Swan, Director
Download PDF Version