Did you realise that the Project Management Institute (PMI)® regularly review A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide) to ensure that it reflects current and emerging project practices? The PMI® conducts extensive research to understand how project management practitioners are performing their roles. This is vital to ensure that the PMBOK® Guide continues to be a source of best practice guidance for project managers globally.
The next version of the PMBOK® Guide (Sixth Edition) is due to be launched third quarter 2017.
So what is new?
Anyone currently involved in projects in the last few years will not be surprised that the next edition of the PMBOK® Guide will have greater focus on approaches in Agile, Iterative and Adaptive environments. Other updates include:
- Addition of introductory sections for each knowledge area including key concepts, trends and emerging practices and tailoring consideration
Knowledge Area Updates:
- ‘Project Time Management’ renamed to ‘Project Schedule Management’ (aligning with the Practice Standard for Scheduling)
‘Project HR Management’ renamed to ‘Project Resource Management’; this will include both team and physical resources
3 New Processes:
- Manage project knowledge (relating to lessons learnt)
- Implement risk responses
- Control resources
In addition, some processes have been renamed for overall consistency.
- To facilitate understanding that processes are not just linear or in a particular sequence, each process has been categorised as:
- Processes used once or at predefined points in the project
- Processes that are done periodically as needed
- Processes that are done continuously throughout the project
What does this mean for Certifications/Exams?
The Project Management Professional Exam (PMP)® certification updates are expected to occur in Q1 2018, reflecting the Sixth Edition updates.
So if you are considering gaining your PMP® certification, the exam will be based on the Fifth Edition of the PMBOK Guide through 2016 and 2017. Remember, the PMP® certification is one of the highest sought after project management accreditations internationally.
PMI and PMBOK are registered marks of the Project Management Institute, Inc.