‘Service IntelliPoint’ Case Study
With the NSW Premier’s committed priorities incorporating improved customer experience and greater access to knowledge, Department of Education (DoE) had previously built a prototype dashboard displaying real time technology incidents and request tickets across NSW schools. The Deputy Secretary saw the value in this and provided funding to implement the prototype into an enterprise production system.
The objective was to complete the production infrastructure and dashboard’s development for its implementation and rollout to the Deputy Secretary and IT Directors. This involved incorporating the necessary support and operational services as well as a change management approach for this new service.
Beyond the turnaround, DoE sought the transfer of expertise so that the success, approach and tools could be used for other projects and applied to other areas of their operations.
Development was underway by an external vendor operating in a highly agile environment that needed appropriate levels of governance, project management, and service and operations management. Rather than the traditional 3-person consulting model (strategist, project manager and communications), PM-Partners implemented a 3-senior person delivery model
for the project turn around:
- Project Manager: Overall project management and governance.
- Communications and Change Manager: Managed the organisation’s required change and capability whilst providing the overall approach and tools.
- Senior Consultant: Focused on service delivery and operations management; responsible for overall delivery and end-to-end integration.
Embedding a small number of senior resources with proven expertise and delivery, PM-Partners group successfully implemented the following:
- A rapid stakeholder engagement approach.
- Tight governance.
- Regular senior and executing briefings.
- Best practice and subsequent realised benefits.
- Rigor for user acceptance and operational acceptance testing to assure quality deliverables across the service.
- Tangible deliverables and processes to hold business areas accountable for their service deliveries.
The outcome was a completed dashboard ready for deployment to 10 IT directors, and potentially 100 corporate users from the broader business with a service road map in place, as well as support services to provide a fully managed service.
Download PDF version